Big Search

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

It Is Impossible To Properly Appreciate Happiness Except By Enduring The Opposite

Do you ask if I rejoice because the Devil has the advantage over the inhabitants of the earth, and has afflicted mankind? I most assuredly answer in the affirmative; I rejoice in this as much as in anything else. I rejoice because I am afflicted. I rejoice because I am poor. I rejoice because I am cast down. Why? Because I shall be lifted up again. I rejoice that I am poor because I shall be made rich; that I am afflicted, because I shall be comforted, and prepared to enjoy the felicity of perfect happiness, for it is impossible to properly appreciate happiness except by enduring the opposite (DBY, 228).

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Brigham Young, (1997), 177–82

No comments:

Post a Comment