Big Search

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

They Want It Straight, Undiluted.

When I began my teaching career, President J. Reuben Clark Jr., the First Counselor in the First Presidency, had spoken to teachers. His words went into my heart and influenced me ever since.

President Clark described youth as “hungry for things of the Spirit [and] eager to learn the gospel.” He said: “They want it straight, undiluted. They want to know … about our beliefs; they want to gain testimonies of their truth. They are not now doubters but inquirers, seekers after truth.”

President Clark continued: “You do not have to sneak up behind this spiritually experienced youth and whisper religion in [their] ears; you can come right out, face to face, and talk with [them]. … You can bring these truths to [them] openly. … There is no need for gradual approaches.”9

Since then I have taught young people in the same way that I teach adults.
Author: Boyd K. Packer
Title: Counsel to Young Men
Where: Ensign, May 2009, 49–52

No comments:

Post a Comment