Big Search

Monday, April 2, 2012

A Story of Alexander Davydov


While accompanying President Dieter F. Uchtdorf to Eastern Europe last year, I marveled at the faith and courage of the Saints. One priesthood leader in Ukraine told us of being called to the branch presidency in the spring of 1994, only six months after his baptism. This would require becoming public with his faith and helping to register the Church in the city of Dnipropetrovs’k. It was at a time of uncertainty in Ukraine, and openly showing faith in Christ and in the restored gospel could mean difficulty, including the possibility of losing his job as a pilot.
The priesthood leader told us, “I prayed and prayed. I had a testimony, and I had made a covenant. I knew what the Lord wanted me to do.”31 Courageously, he and his wife went forward with faith, unashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Neil L. Andersen, “Never Leave Him,” Ensign, Nov 2010, 39–42
From personal conversation and from a translated excerpt of an oral history by Alexander Davydov, recorded July 16, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment